Best ways to prep Munnys.

The Sideshow
Posted in: Kathie Olivas

Ive tried using oil paints, but do you recommend a layer of acrylic first? Ive been trying to work on munny but have failed in all my attempts. What is the best rout to go? Thanks!

santaXcruz wrote:
Ive tried using oil paints, but do you recommend a layer of acrylic first? Ive been trying to work on munny but have failed in all my attempts. What is the best rout to go? Thanks!

Ok, first off (and I tell this to everyone who asks me this question so don't take it personally)-- if you are not an oil painter I do not recommend learning on vinyl. It takes years to learn how oils act and react and they are not very forgiving. If you are an oil painter and have figured out what techniques work best in your area-- humidity or lack there of plays a big role in how painting vinyl will work-- or more likely, not work. There are a lot of variables in how every oil painter works, so I would need a bit more information in how you are planning to paint it.
As far as prepping vinyl, it also depends on the vinyl/ plastic. If vinyl appears "oily" or shiny you might want to try boiling or degreasing it with dish soap. I've heard 409 suggested as well.
I try to avoid hard plastics, but you can try sanding it to create a tooth to hold the primer.
From there I would suggest several coats of primer-- I would go with a good quality acrylic. I would not recommend spray primers-- have not had much luck with these, but maybe others have.
Be sure to read the directions as different brands may vary-- several light coats are always better than drippy, heavy coats. You can sand between coats for a more uniform finish-- or if you like texture you can use a thicker primer with a coarse brush.

Also, if you are using a piece of vinyl that was painted/ produced in China I do not recommend stripping it-- you have no idea what type of paint or what kind of solvents were used; to me, it's not worth the risk. Usually a light sanding in a well ventilated area is enough to get started on.

The Sideshow
Posted in: Kathie Olivas

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.190s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off