A new collection (kids, these are NOT toys!)...

The Sideshow
Posted in: Show Off

• 490 posts
  • from Little Elm, Texas
I've recently been bitten by the custom/art knife bug. I met a guy named Mike Geist on another board. Mike runs a studio called Liontribe designs and makes one-off knives in a primitive, post-apocalyptic style that just clicked with me.

I only have two of his creations at present, but I wanted to share them. This first one is a 9.5" straight blade made from an old German file. In fact, he left a good bit of the old file teeth visible on the blade. The scales (handles) are micarta in a "copperhead" pattern:

Here are some better pics which help show the original file used to make the blade. The acid-etched pattern is one he calls "crime scene".

This is one I commissioned from Mike. It's about 9" long, with a heavy blade. The blade design is called "Dozer". He uses several acids to etch the metal to give it a highly-textured finish he calls "relic". The scales are California buckeye burl. Note the little lion netsuke on the lanyard.

"How old would be you if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Although I'm not really into knives myself I can understand why you like collecting them. I think the second one looks really cool.

• 2486 posts
  • from San Francisco
The EDC knife world is crazy, kind of like the early years of vinyl toys. I would love to get into it except its $300+ for the limited, and by lottery.

• 1050 posts
  • from Los Angeles
These are so rad. There's another toy designer I know that makes custom knives(or carves custom handles for them) - http://instagram.com/ocu_lar

I've come across a few toy collectors that also collect knifes. Seems like a strange pairing to me.

Im curious, what's the attraction? Is it specific to the craftsmanship?

notes from the moodydoom
isnta: @moodydoom

• 490 posts
  • from Little Elm, Texas
moodydoom wrote:
I've come across a few toy collectors that also collect knifes. Seems like a strange pairing to me.

Im curious, what's the attraction? Is it specific to the craftsmanship?

In this particular case, it was the unique and artistic approach Mike takes to his blades. I liked that he made knives out of old tools (blacksmiths have practiced recycling for centuries). I also like the idea of combining art with useful, everyday tools. Maybe it's my age (pushing very hard on 50), but I've carried a pocketknife of some kind pretty much all of my life. I have a small Ken Onion folding knife that I carry quite often. I was at a show a few years ago and found the same knife with custom silver, turquoise and bone scales (handles) made by an artist named David Yellowhorse and had to have it. I don't carry that one every day, but it's become something of a barbecue knife (literally and figuratively) for me.

In at least one other way, it's very similar to the art world. While the work stands on its own merits, of course, and can be enjoyed on the basis of what it is, I really enjoy the opportunities to meet and spend time with the artists and fellow collectors. I like hearing about how a particular piece came into being, and why the artist made the choices they did. This kind of interaction really adds emotional value to the work, at least for me.

I also collect antique firearms, so custom/art knives play well in that space too. I imagine it's a bit like car guys also collecting racing or gasoline memorabilia.

KC

"How old would be you if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

The Sideshow
Posted in: Show Off

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.092s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off