All things video games

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

Rather than hijacking KOs thread figured I'd take someones suggestion and start a thread.

I'm always looking for puzzle type games for DS (I'm like an old lady) and any good games for Wii.

I definitely recommend Picross and Picross 3D for DS. If I had to lean toward one to get first it would be picross only because there are a LOT of puzzles in 3D and it doesn't let you skip ahead to harder difficulties which means I had to plow through a bunch of puzzles which were really too easy.

"At this point it's all just lines..." -A. Horkey

Add me to the Professor Layton fan club! Though I'd agree the puzzles in the last game didn't seem as difficult (or as interesting) as the previous two. Have you had the movie over there yet? I loved that too. I'm more into puzzle games as well, that's all I play really, well that and anything Zelda related. Would anyone recommend Ace Attorney? I heard there's a Layton/Ace crossover coming up so I was thinking about trying those (though it's not guaranteed there'll be a translation). I'm hoping the Studio Ghibli game from Level 5 will be translated at some point though I think that's maybe somewhere between Layton and Pokemon style gaming.

I miss point and click games, I loved Lucasarts, still hoping for a grim fandango sequel! though the new Sam & Max/Monkey Island games from TellTale are pretty cool :albino:

My girlfriend loves the ace attorney games. I haven't played them so I can't compare to layton but if you love puzzle games and the lawyer theme is interesting at all to you they're probably worth checking out.

thanks for the recommendations.

I must admit I miss playing the original Sega games

I love the old school gaming. They just came out with a revised version of Archon on PC where you can play with original graphics or slightly updated graphics. Now I need to get a controller for my PC though because I suck just using the keyboard.

• 5057 posts
  • from Canada eh?
As said before, I really like Puzzle Quest 1 & 2
I was looking for some the other day as stocking stuffer ideas and Picross looks interesting.

Old school games that you can download on the Wii
Dr. Mario
Lolo 1 & 2

brandtpeters wrote:
for the record Yerflap -- if someone is going to be hard as steel about opinions it's you -- I can count on it like I can count on a brain freeze after downing a slurpee to fast...

Dr. Mario is the best Tetris copycat EVER! :dance:

For those into more unconventional puzzle games:

Myst and Riven are adventure puzzle games. You wake up in some unknown world and have to find your way back home by making your way through said worlds (all the while discovering the intent of its creator). The games are a bit older, so the graphics aren't what they are now, but it's still beautiful and creepy. And effing hard.

Heh, good luck trying to find this game. Came out in '95 by a now defunct-software company. The Dark Eye takes players into some of Edgar Allan Poe's most famed short stories and plunks them right into the role of protagonist or antagonist. You get to brick living people behind walls, hide body parts beneath floorboards, and have you teeth knocked out with a shovel after being buried alive :D (all the while traversing through the different worlds or 'dreamscapes' by finding clues).

Despite how it sounds, it isn't actually gory. But damn, is it ever compelling. Poe fanatic or not, it's worth the hunt for this game.

Someone was actually awesome enough to post all the parts of the game on youtube. Take a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKLCXbk9nbI

Miskat wrote:
I want a smiley that rips off testicles and then sets them on fire.

yerflap wrote:
As said before, I really like Puzzle Quest 1 & 2
I was looking for some the other day as stocking stuffer ideas and Picross looks interesting.

Old school games that you can download on the Wii
Dr. Mario
Lolo 1 & 2

puzzle quest 1 was great - i loved the taming beasts/making items/raiding cities thing they had there.

PQ2 was still cool, though I did miss those elements of the first game though.

( i did my first run through with PQ2 as an assassin class - 2 x poison daggers are just slightly over the top good). taking down the green dragon was fun.

in terms of other puzzlers, there's Braid and Limbo on the 360.

braid plays with the itea of time being controllable, and has a nice twist at the end. I've read some people talking about it being an analogy to the development of the atomic bomb, but i'm not sure about that.

limbo is a great puzzler and looks amazing

Braid is also available on the PC through steam (got it last year for like $2 during their holiday sale) fun game but i never managed to finish it. Another game in the same vein is The Misadventures of PB winterbottom.

Steam's holiday sale usually starts on black friday and you can get a bunch of games up to 90% off. great time to stock up.

• 3313 posts
  • from The Emerald City
dinkycow wrote:
Dr. Mario is the best Tetris copycat EVER! :dance:

oh my god i'm insane about Dr. Mario! if anyone plays online i would love to play sometime!

sometimes i say i have a "Doctors" Appointment which means no i don't wanna hang out, unless u wanna watch me play dr. mario

• 3313 posts
  • from The Emerald City
also in love with undead nightmare, the red dead redemption zombie download. Right now i'm riding around on one of the four horses of the apocalypse :twisted: so badass!

• 5057 posts
  • from Canada eh?
pandabandit12 wrote:
also in love with undead nightmare, the red dead redemption zombie download. Right now i'm riding around on one of the four horses of the apocalypse :twisted: so badass!

My guy plays that so I've seen it - I like the zombie horse.

brandtpeters wrote:
for the record Yerflap -- if someone is going to be hard as steel about opinions it's you -- I can count on it like I can count on a brain freeze after downing a slurpee to fast...

anyone know if this one is good?
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.197s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off