The Suckadelic Era article

1, 2, 3  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Art & Toys

• 2468 posts
  • from San Francisco

In the Village Voice
The Suckadelic Era
The designer-toy world's biggest jerkbag thinks you're an asshole for reading this story.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-09-28/ ... ootlegger/

• 117 posts
  • from Albuquerque, NM
Wow. I don't even know what to say about this. It may be the most horrible thing I've ever read.

What matters is just the one thing; to penetrate to the very heart of a thing, and create it better. - Toulouse Latrec

• 370 posts
  • from Massachooooooosets
I have plenty to say about that guy, but I'll keep it short, to the point, and use a word in the article itself referenced a few times.

HACK.

• 1487 posts
  • from Long beach, CA.
kreaturekomfort wrote:
I have plenty to say about that guy, but I'll keep it short, to the point, and use a word in the article itself referenced a few times.

HACK.

He has never claimed to be original. Everything that has come out is his take on classic toys, they look janky, the "craftsmanship" is horrible but to me that's what he's all about. Bootlegging to the Maxor.

• 504 posts
  • from Nashville,TN
Any art that generates some kind of strong feeling is a succsess in my book.

• 370 posts
1V1ARTIN wrote:
kreaturekomfort wrote:

HACK.

He has never claimed to be original. Everything that has come out is his take on classic toys, they look janky, the "craftsmanship" is horrible but to me that's what he's all about. Bootlegging to the Maxor.

The only thing I'll say for him is that he wouldn't exist if there weren't sheeple who bought into his snakeoil pitch and anti-establishment attitude, acting all 'evolved' for 'getting' him.

As a fellow professional artist and member to numerous modeling and sculpting forums for years, I do have strong opinions about recasting intellectual properties and licensed merchandise though, and despite his frankenstein mishmashing of parts, he's still recasting.

Meh.

I kind of lump him in with OBEY or banksy, in that I think he has basically no talent or artistic skill but does a tremendous job of marketing his "brand" which is his concept.

I really don't know much about him as his stuff doesn't appeal to me personally but I do have a certain respect for people who can take something that they enjoy doing and make a living from it.

"At this point it's all just lines..." -A. Horkey

• 2468 posts
  • from San Francisco
"The quality is not the main thing; it's the energy, or the idea, or the spirit behind it, not the quality."

This is less about art and more about his presence, which in-turn is art.

• 2468 posts
  • from San Francisco
kreaturekomfort wrote:

The only thing I'll say for him is that he wouldn't exist if there weren't sheeple who bought into his snakeoil pitch and anti-establishment attitude, acting all 'evolved' for 'getting' him.

As a fellow professional artist and member to numerous modeling and sculpting forums for years, I do have strong opinions about recasting intellectual properties and licensed merchandise though, and despite his frankenstein mishmashing of parts, he's still recasting.

Meh.

The people at Lucas enjoy his work, and don't mind what he does. And I don't see why it bothers you, is it cause he's successful?

kreaturekomfort wrote:
1V1ARTIN wrote:
kreaturekomfort wrote:

HACK.

Meh.

you read bitter.

That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood.

• 2096 posts
  • from O-HI-O
  • Mod
Morgan has put in a lot of effort to build his brand from nothing. I, for one, have always thought what he was doing was funny and entertaining. For a self made man...I'd say what he's been able to accomplish is pretty damned impressive...I mean the guy lived with his mom until a few years ago. I was in his studio last year when he was getting his 2nd call back for an audition for the "Work of Art" show, and the first thing I thought was "dude is MADE for television, it's about time". We all knew he would get it.

Talk shit about him all you want, it's what he wants you to do anyway.

I'm not into WHAT he is doing, but I totally applaud HOW he has managed to do it. It's always great to see a success story for me...especially to someone who is so close to our industry.

• 2468 posts
  • from San Francisco
CMR wrote:
Morgan has put in a lot of effort to build his brand from nothing. I, for one, have always thought what he was doing was funny and entertaining. For a self made man...I'd say what he's been able to accomplish is pretty damned impressive...I mean the guy lived with his mom until a few years ago. I was in his studio last year when he was getting his 2nd call back for an audition for the "Work of Art" show, and the first thing I thought was "dude is MADE for television, it's about time". We all knew he would get it.

I'm not into WHAT he is doing, but I totally applaud HOW he has managed to do it. It's always great to see a success story for me...especially to someone who is so close to our industry.

Well said and agree 100%

• 1487 posts
  • from Long beach, CA.
DrilOne wrote:
CMR wrote:

Well said and agree 100%

Absolutely. You can't knock him for how he made himself a known name in the art world. 1 man grass roots campaign and now he will get a bigger audience to put on his show for. Nothing but respect for Morgan.

• 370 posts
halfapparition wrote:
kreaturekomfort wrote:
1V1ARTIN wrote:
kreaturekomfort wrote:

HACK.

Meh.

you read bitter.

Not bitter at all, but opinionated I guess when it comes to how I perceive someone is profiting from their 'art'(i.e. how much 'borrowing' is taking place) Not gonna be apologetic in favoring artists who take the more traditional route and impress the masses with pencil and paper, paint, fabric, clay, stone, musical instrument...I could go on. It's simply an opinion and everyone's got one (and is entitled to it).

Granted he's harvesting from old classic toylines, but for the sake of argument though, I wonder what boardies' opinions would be if he grabbed a crumbeater or mini skelve and created a pink gay skelve army.

Believe me, not trying to get into anything heated and if any of you call him friend, I apologize if you think I'm 'slighting' him. He could be a perfectly 'good dude', but I just don't care for what he's peddling (regardless of the degree of success he's had doing it).

For the record I also don't like brussel sprouts.

• 2096 posts
  • from O-HI-O
  • Mod
kreaturekomfort wrote:
For the record I also don't like brussel sprouts.

Okay now you've gone too far... :lol:

I think these discussions are good to have, and everyone IS entitled to their own opinion.

Like I sad, I don;t particularly like what he does..but I get it...but I also know it's not for me.

I also get what you're saying..hell I even posted something the other day about how I'm tired of people using pop culture references in art (especially star wars) :trooper:

I guess I'm a pacifist..but I think there is room enough for everyone to play, and if Lucas WANTED to stop Sucklord...he would have..but it only helps the Lucas image to have some "hip" artist doing derivative work to help keep the brand "cool".

1, 2, 3  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Art & Toys

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.191s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off